"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." Ludwig Wittgenstein

Friday, May 4, 2012

Therapeutic Calm



Lola had hardly sat down before she shrieked, “I didn’t come here to talk about me.  I came here because you are screwing my boyfriend.  The only reason I started therapy with you is because you're sleeping with Richard, and I wanted to see for myself what kind of two-timing bitch you are.”

Jackie immediately suppressed her feeling of shock and incomprehension.  She struggled to suppress her immediate reflex to say, “What the fuck are you talking about?”  Instead, Jackie exuded a well-practiced professional calm, turned to her fuming client, and said, “You seem angry Lola. Please tell me more about what you’re feeling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment