"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." Ludwig Wittgenstein

Monday, November 23, 2009

No One Was Watching Us

No One Was Watching Us

We were downtown, drinking again, but not that much, and it didn’t matter anyway, because no one, no one on this sweet planet, was watching us. And you said, “Buck, you don’t drink enough, go ahead, have one on me.”

Just then I got up from the bar and started to head for the door and your sister, Jackie, said, “Why don’t I come with you, I think I’ve had enough, too-- besides, it’s almost noon, anyway.”And I smiled, because that’s what I do when I celebrate life’s unexpected victories.

But you didn’t see me smile, or see me put my arm around your sister’s waist, as we broke out into the bright, bare sunlight of the parking lot, where I opened the door to Jackie’s car, and even though I’d only known her for a barroom hour, I kissed her---and she kissed me back.

Like I said, no one was watching us.

No comments:

Post a Comment