"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." Ludwig Wittgenstein

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Second Thoughts, First

“I think you’ve had some challenges with men,” Jackie clinically observed to Lola, who sat staring, wide-eyed and incredulous at the pedestrian understatement of her therapist. “The stories you’ve told me since our first meeting, a few months ago, the stories about your father and about being a young woman in Hollywood, make me wonder if this is the best place for you, especially given your history?”

Is this, Lola wondered, what I am paying her 150 dollars an hour to tell me?

Lola then made a metal note of how much of her father’s monthly “stipend” she’d spent so far, just to learn about her ‘struggles’ with men. She shifted uncomfortably in her chair, as she wondered if she would have learned something much more useful if she had just come out and accused Jackie of sleeping with Richard?

On the other hand, Lola thought, maybe she’s right, maybe I’m not cut out to make it in Hollywood?

No comments:

Post a Comment